Friday, January 28, 2011

Adam - Week 1, Day 2, 12:02 PM

Today's been a little harder than yesterday. Hunger pangs abound. I'm only abstaining from lunch and between-meal snacking, but it's amazing to me how dependent I am on those things to get me through a day. And not necessarily "dependent" in a good way.

The morning has been filled with more temptations as well. Temptations to "cheat" and have a snack, or to the temptation NOT to pray when a hunger pang strikes. It's not as automatic to pray as I would like it to be. Inner complaining is the first reflex, which I would like to see change.

I realize that what I'm doing is a spiritual discipline, and discipline, by its very definition, is not always something fun or instantly rewarding. Its rewards come in the long-run. In the short-run, discipline is hard and uncomfortable. I think I'm learning the necessity of prayer for survival, not prayer for warm fuzzy feelings.

The first phase for me has been mostly about my own junk and learning to depend on God, rather than food or anything else. I haven't had as much of the "this is how I can identify with the poor and people that are hungry" perspective yet, but praying that will change. One of the scriptures on my mind today has been Philippians 3:18-20

"For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment